Our mentality is the characteristic attitude of someone’s mind or a way of thinking of a person or a group. It guides the way we look at things, make choices and decisions, and how we act on them. It is the framework on how we see the world. It guides our interactions and how we engage with our surrounding. One of the surest ways to tell how someone will behave in the future is to gauge their mentality.
For example, the former US President Bush Jr. (yes the not-so-smart one) is a neo-con who carries the mentality that insist, “If you are not with me, you are against me”. As such, the way he ran his administration reflects that mental make-up. On the other hand, Gandhi’s framework suggests that we must “hate the sin, not the sinner”, so non-violence is the preferred way of life.
Here are 10 types of mentality that I would not vote for.
- It is okay to insult and be disrespectful to other people’s religious beliefs.
- One cannot wish Merry Christmas, Happy Deepavali, Wesak Day, etc. as it would shake their akidah or the akidah of their followers.
- It is okay to take a cheap and easy loan from the government (that the government created specifically for an explicit purpose) and use the money to create companies that do something else while paying their own family members exorbitant salaries.
- Whenever they talk about Islam, the first thing they pay attention to is the length of women’s skirts.
- It is okay to rape a woman if they wear skirts – and see it fits to suggest to the rape victim, ‘Padan Muka’.
- My race is more superior than yours.
- It’s okay to practice double standards.
- If you are not with me, you are against me.
- It is okay to sacrifice the journey for the goal.
- Corruption is part and parcel of politics and business.
How about you?