I could be biased, but to me there are 2 things that are most important as a Muslim.
1. One is to seek consciousness (taqwa) - refer here for my earlier entry on the subject http://letusaddvalue.blogspot.my/2018/03/what-does-quran-say-about-consciousness.html and,
2. The other, is seeking knowledge.
Please allow me to unpack why.
a. According to the Quran in 65:12, the entire purpose or goal of creation is for man to gain knowledge of the entire universe.
b. At 2:31, Adam representing the first man was taught by the first teacher, God.
c. At 2:32-33, the Quran singled out knowledge as man’s clear advantage and privilege over all beings – even the angels cannot achieve it – ability to name or define all of God’s creation and as such have the capacity to think conceptually and create our own reality.
d. Quran 16:78 declares that while at birth we know nothing, we are provided the capacity to seek knowledge and that is why we should be grateful.
e. Messengers and apostle were send to guide us towards knowledge at 2:51
f. The first 5 verses of the final revelation, the Quran at 96:1-5, repeats and reassure us that seeking knowledge is THE MESSAGE and God will teach us what we knew not – just like verse 2:31 above about Adam was taught by the first teacher, God.
g. At 30:22 we are told that only those with knowledge can comprehend God’s creation of the universe and understand society in its diversity and inclusiveness
h. As such in 58:11, it says, the more you know, the closer you are to God.
i. The purpose of the Quran is for us to increase our knowledge at 20:114
j. And at 38:39 The Quran suggested those with insight are those who will take the Quran seriously
k. The most favored by God among humans are those with knowledge, Quran 27:16-17.
I will post all the above verses as today’s entries below.
All emphasis are mine to help readers focus on a particular message.
1. GOD is He who has created seven heavens, and, like them, [the many aspects] of the earth. Through all of them flows down from on high, unceasingly, His [creative] will, so that you might come to know that God has the power to will anything, and that God encompasses all things with His knowledge Quran 65:12
2. And He imparted unto Adam the names of all things; then He brought them within the ken of the angels and said: "Declare unto Me the names of these [things], if what you say is true." Quran 2:31
3. They replied: "Limitless art Thou in Thy glory! No knowledge have we save that which Thou hast imparted unto us. Verily, Thou alone art all-knowing, truly wise. "Said He: "O Adam, convey unto them the names of these [things]." And as soon as [Adam] had conveyed unto them their names, [God] said: "Did I not say unto you, `Verily, I alone know the hidden reality of the heavens and the earth and know all that you bring into the open and all. that you would conceal'?" – Quran 2:32-23
4. And God has brought you forth from your mothers' wombs knowing nothing-but He has endowed you with hearing, and sight, and minds, so that you might have cause to be grateful. Quran 16:78
5. Even as We have sent unto you an apostle from among yourselves to convey unto you Our messages, and to cause you to grow in purity, and to impart unto you revelation and wisdom, and to teach you that which you knew not: Quran 2:151
6. And among his wonders is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the diversity of your tongues and colours: for in this, behold, there are messages indeed for all who are possessed of [innate] knowledge! Quran 30:22
7. O YOU who have attained to faith! When you are told, “Make room for one another in your collective life”, do make room: [and in return,] God will make room for you [in His grace]. And whenever you are told, “Rise up [for a good deed]”, do rise up; [and] God will exalt by [many] degrees those of you who have attained to faith and, [above all,] such as have been vouchsafed [true] knowledge: for God is fully aware of all that you do. - Quran 58:11
8. Know,] then, [that) God is sublimely exalted. the Ultimate Sovereign, the Ultimate Truth and [knowing this,] do not approach the Qur'an in haste, ere it has been revealed unto thee in full, but [always) say: "O my Sustainer, cause me to grow in knowledge! Quran 20:114
9. [All this have We expounded in this] blessed divine writ which We have revealed unto thee, [O Muhammad,] so that men may ponder over its messages, and that those who are endowed with insight may take them to heart. – Quran 38:39
10. AND, INDEED, We granted [true] knowledge unto David and Solomon [as well]; and both were wont to say: All praise is due to God, who has [thus] favoured us above many of His believing servants!” And [one day] there were assembled before Solomon his hosts of invisible beings, and of men, and of birds; and then they were led forth in orderly ranks, Quran 27:16-17
I hope I have proven my point. Please share your thoughts. We can agree to disagree.