Jihad is perhaps one of the most corrupted and adulterated word from the Quran both by Muslims and Non-Muslims alike.
It is always equated to the word “fight”. The root word for jihad is ‘juhd’, meaning ‘effort’, ‘endeavor’, ‘strive’ or ‘struggle’. The word for fight in the Quran is ‘qital’. I will discuss this subject in a separate entry.
Today let’s chat about jihad which is simply “the process of exerting the best effort” towards a goal – any goal. A related word to jihad is ijtihad, which means ‘working hard and diligently’. A person who strives is a mujahid (male) or mujahida (female).
What is interesting to me, and I would like to share here is the Quranic context when and where the Quran uses the word jihad. In the first verse I share below, we are told to jihad against those who deny the truth, with the Quran.
Let me share about 10 in this entry. All emphasis are mine to help readers focus on a particular message.
1. Hence, do not defer to [the likes and dislikes of] those who deny the truth, but strive hard against them, by means of this [divine writ], with utmost striving. Quran 25:52
2. Do you think that you could enter paradise unless God takes cognizance of your having Striven hard [in His cause], and takes cognizance of your having been patient in adversity? - Quran 3:142
3. [Know that true] believers are only those who have attained to faith in God and His Apostle and have left all doubt behind, and who strive hard in God’s cause with their possessions and their lives: it is they, they who are true to their word! – Quran 49:15
4. ‘[Revere thy parents;] yet should they endeavor to make thee ascribe divinity, side by side with Me, to something which thy mind cannot accept [as divine], obey them not; but [even then] bear them company in this world’s life with kindness, and follow the path of those who turn towards Me. In the end, unto Me you all must return; and thereupon I shall make you [truly] understand all that you were doing [in life].’. Quran 31:15
5. But as for those who STRIVE hard in Our cause -We shall most certainly guide them onto paths that lead unto Us: for, behold, God is indeed with the doers of good. Quran 29:69
6. O you who have attained to faith! If you ever abandon your faith," God will in time bring forth [in your stead] people whom He loves and who love Him - humble towards the believers, proud towards all who deny the truth: [people] who STRIVE hard in God's cause, and do not fear to be censured by anyone who might censure them: such is God's favour, which He grants unto whom He wills. And God is infinite, all-knowing– Quran 5:54
7. And yet, behold, thy Sustainer [grants His forgiveness] unto those who forsake the domain of evil after having succumbed to its temptation, and who thenceforth STRIVE hard [in God's cause] and are patient in adversity: behold, after such [repentance] thy Sustainer is indeed much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace! - Quran 16:110
8. And most certainly We shall try you all, so that We might mark out those of you who STRIVE hard [in Our cause] and are patient in adversity: for We shall put to a test [the truth of] all your assertions. - Quran 47:31
9. You are to believe in God and His Apostle, and to STRIVE hard in God's cause with your possessions and your lives: this is for your own good - if you but knew it! Quran 61:11
10. Hence, whoever STRIVEs hard [in God’s cause] does so only for his own good: for, verily, God does not stand in need of anything in all the worlds! - Quran 29:6
Please do contribute more Quranic verse/s with the same theme should you like too.
Google and find out more. Be one who work diligently for your goal. 😊
Here's the link to our Share The Quran e-book, A Collection of Selected Verses from the Quran in 5 Languages.
For more info on the Let's Read The Quran Campaign, kindly follow the below link: