I became interested in the concept of time when a friend asked me during my teenage years, “Who created God?”. My answer surprised him as I said that his question was illogical as God created Time an as such when God existed, Time did not. As such there was none ‘before’ Him.
There are many verses about Time in the Quran, so I will choose only 10. All emphasis are mine to help readers focus on a particular message.
1. Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah Sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they Trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;- (Here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise. - Quran 2:164
2. "Thou causest the night to gain on the day, and thou causest the day to gain on the night; Thou bringest the Living out of the dead, and Thou bringest the dead out of the Living; and Thou givest sustenance to whom Thou pleasest, without measure." – Quran 3:27
3. Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day, - there are indeed Signs for men of understanding,- Quran 3:190
4. He it is That hath made you the night that ye may rest therein, and the day to make things visible (to you). Verily in this are signs for those who listen (to His Message). – Quran 10:67
5. Your Guardian-Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six period, and is firmly established on the throne (of authority): He draweth the night as a veil o'er the day, each seeking the other in rapid succession: He created the sun, the moon, and the stars, (all) governed by laws under His command. Is it not His to create and to govern? Blessed be Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds! – Quran 7:54
6. He has made subject to you the Night and the Day; the sun and the moon; and the stars are in subjection by His Command: verily in this are Signs for men who are wise. – Quran 16:12
7. It is He Who gives life and death, and to Him (is due) the alternation of Night and Day: will ye not then understand? – Quran 23:80
8. Seest thou not that Allah merges Night into Day and he merges Day into Night; that He has subjected the sun, and the moon (to his Law), each running its course for a term appointed; and that Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do? – Quran 31:29
9. Among His Signs are the Night and the Day, and the Sun and the Moon. Adore not the sun and the moon, but adore Allah, Who created them, if it is Him ye wish to serve. - 41:37
10. And in the alternation of Night and Day, and the fact that Allah sends down Sustenance from the sky, and revives therewith the earth after its death, and in the change of the winds,- are Signs for those that are wise. - 45:5
Please do contribute more Quranic verse/s with the same theme should you like too.
You may want to google “What does the Quran say about the Creation of Time?” to find out more 😊
Here's the link to our Share The Quran e-book, A Collection of Selected Verses from the Quran in 5 Languages.
For more info on the Let's Read The Quran Campaign, kindly follow the below link: