To be SUCCESSFUL!
In yesterday’s posting we chatted about wealth and money. Today, let’s get even deeper. What is the purpose of life? What do we want to achieve in life? What is the end game? Why do we do what we do? Why should we follow the right way? Even if you are an atheist?
I find it interesting that the Quran in many places will provide a reason to do what we do which is – to prosper, to be successful, to gain the upper hand or be happy. The root word is AFLAHA.
While many translators translate AFLAHA and its derivatives as successful or prosper, I like Assad’s translation best. He uses ‘a happy state” instead. Why? Coz I am a happy guy and the Quran did say at 20:2 “We did not bestow the Qur'an on thee from on high to make thee unhappy”. 😊
And for the fun of it, let me post two dozen entries on this subject.
All emphasis are mine to help readers focus on a particular message.
1. It is they who follow the guidance [which comes from their Sustainer; and it is they, they who' shall attain to a happy state! Quran 2:5
2. THEY WILL ASK thee about the new moons. Say: "They indicate the periods for [various doings of] mankind, including the pilgrimage." However, piety does not consist in your entering houses from the rear, [as it were,] but truly pious is he who is conscious of God. Hence, enter houses through their doors, and remain conscious of God, so that you might attain to a happy state. Quran 2:189
3. And that there might grow out of you a community [of people] who invite unto all that is good and enjoin the doing of what is right and forbid the doing of what is wrong: and it is they, they who shall attain to a happy state! Quran 3:104
4. O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not gorge yourselves on usury, doubling and re-doubling it - but remain conscious of God, so that you might attain to a happy state; Quran 3:130
5. O you who have attained to faith! Be patient in adversity, and vie in patience with one another, and be ever ready [to do what is right], and remain conscious of God, so that you might attain to a happy state! Quran 3:200
6. O YOU who have attained to faith! Remain conscious of God, and seek to come closer unto Him, and strive hard in His cause, so that you might attain to a happy state. Quran 5:35
7. O YOU who have attained to faith! Intoxicants, and games of chance, and idolatrous practices, and the divining of the future are but a loathsome evil of Satan's doing:' shun it, then, so that you might attain to a happy state! Quran 5:90
8. Say: "There is no comparison between the bad things and the good things, even though very many of the bad things may please thee greatly. Be, then, conscious of God, O you who are endowed with insight, so that you might attain to a happy state!" Quran 5:100
9. And true will be the weighing on that Day; and those whose weight [of good deeds] is heavy in the balance -it is they, they who shall attain to a happy state; Quran 7:8
10. TRULY, to a happy state shall attain the believers: Quran 23:1
11. Why, do you deem it strange that a tiding from your Sustainer should have come unto you through a man from among yourselves, so that he might warn you? Do but remember how He made you heirs to Noah's people, and endowed you abundantly with power: remember, then, God's blessings, so that you might attain to a happy state!" Quran 7:69
12. Those who shall follow the [last] Apostle, the unlettered Prophet whom they shall find described in the Torah that is with them, and [later on] in the Gospel: [the Prophet] who will enjoin upon them the doing of what is right and forbid them the doing of what is wrong, and make lawful to them the good things of life and forbid them the bad things, and lift from them their burdens and the shackles that were upon them [aforetime]. Those, therefore, who shall believe in him, and honour him, and succour him, and follow the light that has been bestowed from on high through him-it is they that shall attain to a happy state." Quran 7:157
13. [Hence,] O you who have attained to faith, when you meet a host in battle, be firm, and remember God often; so that you might attain to a happy state! Quran 8:45
14. The Apostle, however, and all who share his faith strive hard [in God's cause] with, their possessions and their lives: and it is they whom the most excellent things await [in the life to come], and it is they, they who shall attain to a happy state! Quran 9:88
15. And they whose weight [of righteousness] is heavy in the balance - it is they, they who will have attained to a happy state; Quran 23:102
16. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity, and not to display their charms [in public] beyond what may [decently] be apparent thereof; hence, let them draw their head-coverings over their bosoms. And let them not display [more of] their charms to any but their husbands, or their fathers, or their husbands’ fathers, or their sons, or their husbands’ Sons, or their brothers, or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their womenfolk, or those whom they rightfully possess, or such male attendants as are beyond all sexual desire, or children that are as yet unaware of women’s nakedness; and let them not swing their legs [in walking] so as to draw attention to their hidden charms And [always], O you believers - all of you - turn unto God in repentance, so that you might attain to a happy state! Quran 24:31
17. The only response of believers, whenever they are summoned unto God and His Apostle in order that [the divine writ] might judge between them, can be no other than, “We have heard, and we pay heed!”- and it is they, they who shall attain to a happy state: Quran 24:51
18. But as against this - anyone who repents and attains to faith and does righteous deeds may well [hope to] find himself among those who achieve a happy state [in the life to come]. Quran 28:67
19. Hence, give his due to the near of kin, as well as to the needy and the wayfarer; this is best for all who seek God’s countenance: for it is they, they that shall attain to a happy state! Quran 30:38
20. It is they who follow the guidance [that comes to them] from their Sustainer; and it is they, they who shall attain to a happy state! Quran 31:5
21. Thou canst not find people who [truly] believe in God and the Last Day and [at the same time] love anyone who contends against God and His Apostle - even though they be their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or [others of] their kindred. [As for the true believers,] it is they in whose hearts He has inscribed faith, and whom He has strengthened with inspiration from Himself, and whom [in time] He will admit into gardens through which running waters flow, therein to abide. Well-pleased is God with them, and well-pleased are they with Him. They are God’s partisans: oh, verily, it is they, the partisans of God, who shall attain to a happy state! Quran 58:22
22. And [it shall be offered, too, unto the poor from among] those who, before them, had their abode in this realm and in faith - [those] who love all that come to them in search of refuge, and who harbour in their hearts no grudge for whatever the others may have been given, but rather give them preference over themselves, even though poverty be their own lot: for, such as from their own covetousness are saved - it is they, they that shall attain to a happy state! Quran 59:9
23. And when the prayer is ended, disperse freely on earth  and seek to obtain [something] of God's bounty; but remember God often, so that you might attain to a happy state! Quran 62:10
24. Remain, then, conscious of God as best you can, and listen [to Him], and pay heed. And spend in charity for the good of your own selves: for, such as from their own covetousness are saved – it is they, they that shall attain to a happy state! Quran 64:16
Tomorrow, we aill chat about those who will not prosper or shall we say the LOSERS.