The Quran recognizes and emphasized a universal phenomenon - that during the course of human history there have been God’s Messengers sent all over the world – to every people. Some are named, but most were not (Quran 40:78, 4:164).
As such, while the Quran did not mention them, there were Prophets sent to nations known today in every part of the world like China, Africa, Europe, The Americas, South Asia, South East Asia and so on. The Quran also declared that Prophet Muhammad is the last of the Prophets as the Quran is the final revelation. (Quran 33:40).
While these Messengers are sent to their own people, speaking in their own language the message they carry has a universal import.
Although the Quran affirms that not all Messengers are equal in excellence at 2:253 and 17:55, at the same time we are told to make no distinction between them at 4:150 -152, 2:136 and 3:84.
At 4:150 – 152, we are also told that we are not allowed to believe in some Messengers and reject the others. Personally, I feel that this is a call to study all traditions, human thoughts and religion throughout history and through all the ages – ancient and tribal religions included and look for shared values and consistent messages as the Quran asserts at 5:48 that the Quran confirms scriptures before It but will act as the ‘quality controller’. What do you think? We can always agree to disagree.
I hope these entries will enlighten you about the subject.
All emphasis are mine to help readers focus on a particular message.
1. O CHILDREN of Adam! Whenever there come unto you apostles of your own, conveying My messages unto you, then all who are conscious of Me and live righteously - no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve; - Quran 7:35
2. And, indeed, [O Muhammad,] We sent forth apostles before thy time; some of them We have mentioned to thee, and some of them We have not mentioned to thee. And it was not given to any apostle to bring forth a miracle other than by God’s leave. Yet when God’s will become manifest, judgment will [already] have been passed in all justice, and lost will be, then and there, all who tried to reduce to nothing [whatever they could not understand]. - Quran 40:78
3. And as [We inspired other] apostles whom We have mentioned to thee ere this, as well as apostles whom We have not mentioned to thee; and as God spoke His word unto Moses: 4:164
4. NOW every community has had an apostle; and only after their apostle has appeared [and delivered his message] is judgment passed on them, in all equity; and never are they wronged. Quran 10:47
5. Verily, We have sent thee with the truth, as a bearer of glad tidings and a warner: for there never was any community but a warner has [lived and] passed away in its midst. - Quran 35:24
6. Seeing that thy Sustainer is fully aware of [what is in the minds of] all beings that are in the heavens and on earth. But, indeed, We did endow some of the prophets more highly than others -just as We bestowed upon David a book of divine wisdom [in token of Our grace] – Quran 17:55
7. VERILY, those who deny God and His apostles by endeavouring to make a distinction between [belief in] God and [belief in] His apostles, and who say, "We believe in the one but we deny the other," and want to pursue a path in-between – it is they, they who are truly denying the truth: and for those who deny the truth We have readied shameful suffering. But as for those who believe in God and His apostles and make no distinction between any of them - unto them, in time, will He grant their rewards [in full]. And God is indeed much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace. - Quran. 4:150 - 152
8. Say: "We believe in God, and in that which has been bestowed from on high upon us, and that which has been bestowed upon Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and ,their descendants, and that which has been vouchsafed to Moses and Jesus; and that which has been vouchsafed to all the [other] prophets by their Sustainer: we make no distinction between any of them. And it is unto Him that we surrender ourselves."- Quran 2:136
9. Say: "We believe in God, and in that which has been bestowed from on high upon us, and that which has been bestowed upon Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and their descendants, and that which has been vouchsafed by their Sustainer unto Moses and Jesus and all the [other] prophets: we make no distinction between any of them. And unto Him do we surrender ourselves." – Quran 3:84
10. [And know, O believers, that] Muhammad is not the father of any one of your men, but is God’s Apostle and the Seal of all Prophets. And God has indeed full knowledge of everything. Quran 33:40